Top Fan Favorite MMA Moves?
With MMA becoming a popular sport among millions, people are talking about the different styles and moves that make many professional MMA athletes unique.
Check out these five moves and see if you can pull them off yourself, but make sure you have the fundamentals down first!
- Superman Punch– A popular technique used in MMA, Muay Thai, ITF style Taekwondo, and kickboxing. The technique involves bringing the rear leg forward to feign a kick, then snapping the leg back while throwing a cross, resulting in greater power behind the punch. Professional UFC fighter, Georges St-Pierre has popularized this one.
- Flying Knee– This move, much like its name spells out, involves a strike with the knee, either with the kneecap or the surrounding area. However, it is performed in stand-up fighting by jumping, and often by rushing towards the opponent. Knee movements are only allowed in certain typed of MMA, such as Muay Thai. Professional fighters like Anderson Silva and Jon Jones use this move to defeat their opponents. You definitely would not want to be on the wrong end of this aerial attack.
- The Twister– A similar move to the guillotine, is a sideways body bend and neck crank, which involves forcing the head towards the shoulder while controlling the body, hence causing lateral hyperflexion of the cervical spine. The twister was popularized by 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu founder Eddie Bravo. A dangerous yet amazing move to watch.
- Guillotine Choke- The guillotine choke, is a chokeholdin martial arts and MMA applied from in front of the opponent. The choke involves using the arms to encircle the opponent’s neck in a fashion similar to a guillotine. Guys like Cody McKenzie and Urijah Faber have made this a signature part of their arsenals since it is so deadly yet not overly complicated to pull off.
- Rear Naked Choke– The rear naked choke can be an end-all be-all move. It is applied from behind of the opponent and the word naked comes from the fact that unlike other techniques it does not include a training uniform or an object to apply it. If it is executed correctly, it is the ending point in a fight. When you start training in MMA or grappling, the rear naked choke is one of the first moves that you learn because it is so simple and effective.
Need some instruction to safely learn these exciting moves?
Jonesely MMA Academy offers several types of fighting styles, including private and group lessons right in the Norwalk area of Fairfield County:
61 Main Street
Norwalk, CT 06851
Phone: (203) 939 1170